Monday, May 5, 2008

Practice Final

Everyone has a hobby of some sort and over the years my hobbies have changed. I have scrapbooked, participated in card making, and even done a little rubberstamping. It seems the older I get and more physically fit I become my hobbies have moved from sedentary to physically active. I now run, mountain bike and even cross-country ski, but my new favorite hobby is hiking. There are several things that make up a good hike for me and no matter where I go they are always present.

One reason that hiking has become one of my favorite pastimes is I love that feeling of physical exhaustion you get from a good hike. People probably call me crazy, but I like that feeling of pain. You know the pain, the kind that your body hurts just rolling out of bed or when just to go down a flight of stairs it makes you wince because your quads hurt so bad. Feeling that kind of pain means I have pushed my body to do something that it doesn’t normally do and for me that is what drives me to go on my next hike.

Another reason I enjoy hiking is the company I am with when hiking and being outside enjoying nature. I have hiked with many people, my boyfriend, my son, my mother, friends and every trip is different because the people and conversations are different. Also, the nature and wildlife is amazing. I have seen deer, moose, rabbits, eagles, etc. and there is nothing like that feeling of seeing these animals in their habitat, up-close and personal. I have a unique memory from every hike I have been on and it is because of these two things that even when hiking the same trail, every hike is different.

The best part about hiking is the pride you get from accomplishing something you have never done before. It doesn’t matter what trail or what mountain you hike, the feeling of accomplishment is always the same. It is kind of like putting notches in your belt…Cadillac, Katahdin, Chimney Pond, Bee Hive, etc. No matter how many notches you have, you still want to add more.

For me all of the above are what I feel and experience when partaking in my favorite hobby. So no matter what trail I take, who I am with or what limits I will push my body too, I will always be anticipating my next hike.

1 comment:

johngoldfine said...

I'm with you--as soon as school ends I'm off on a 75 mile hike.

This is very well-organized and clear, maybe a little light on detail, but certainly an effort I'll take.