Sunday, April 20, 2008

Effect Essay - Rewrite

Over the years, I have had several jobs with all different kinds of bosses, but it is in my current job that I think I have found my best boss. Some might say, what makes a good boss? I think the answer to that question is different for everyone. For me, it is the following things that make my boss great.

The first thing that makes her a great boss is she doesn’t “micro-manage.” She has the confidence in me that I know what needs to be done and that I will get it done. If she needs something sooner, she simply tells me. Like last week she needed me to put together a binder for a meeting, when she gave me the work, she just said “I need that for my 7am meeting on Friday.” She didn’t keep hounding me by asking, “Do you have it done yet?” or keep reminding me by saying, “Don’t forget, I need that binder by Friday.” She knew that she gave me an assignment and that I would have it done.

The second reason she is a great boss, is she makes sure she gives credit where credit is due. On numerous occasions, I have prepared presentations or training materials that she has used and she always makes sure to tell people “Trish did that.” For example, I prepared a Basic Computer Needs Assessment Test. This test determines people’s knowledge with computers and helps us determine if they need an intro to computers class. Recently, someone asked her if they could use it at another hospital and she told them that would be fine but to make sure and give me credit for developing it. She also makes sure that her boss knows how much I do and that I am always willing to step in when needed, like when I help with orientation for new employees.

The third reason that she is a great boss, is she is understanding. She realizes that there are days that you just don’t feel like working or that come 2:00 on a Friday afternoon most people have just about had it. She understands this and freely admits that she feels this way too. I think she realizes that on most days we put out a tremendous amount of work, so on those days that we don’t it is okay because she feels that “it all comes out in the wash.”

It is because of all these reasons that I love my job at St. Joseph Hospital and believe it or not, I love going to work. My boss makes my work environment a fun place to be. We accomplish a tremendous amount of work, but we almost always have fun doing it. This is very important because I feel that we spend more time with the people we work with than we do our own family sometimes. So if you don’t like what you do and where you are working, you need to change something, because life is too short!

2 comments:

johngoldfine said...

Okey-doke. I'll take it with the enhanced material you've added.

PHWP_Online said...

Trish, that's great that you love your job and your boss. You're very fortunate to be working for a company that seems to promote a psychologically healthy workplace. Creating a positive atmosphere for employees is essential to running a successful business, and it sounds like your boss is doing a great job.