Thursday, February 7, 2008

I-Search Brainstorm

Preparing for a 10K Race…

I just started running last summer, can I even do it?
Should I start smaller, maybe run a 5K first…is that what most people do?
What are the steps in preparing?
Should I have new sneakers, is something recommended?
What type of clothing is best?
When do people typically start training?
Do you run more and more each day?
Is it time based…do I need to run at a certain pace?
Are there running groups in the area that help with this sort of training?
Where to start…should I get a book, surf the internet, find someone who has raced?
What are the registration deadlines?
How do you register for a race?
Do you have to raise money?
How do other people feel after they have finished a race for the first time?
How will I feel after my first race?
Will I look like a fool?
Will people be able to tell I have never done this before?
What if I have to walk some of it?

I love running, it is so addicting and I bet I am going to get a rush when I participate in my first race.

1 comment:

johngoldfine said...

Great questions make a great isearch and you certainly have the questions.

I have a piece of non-writing advice: get the best running shoes you can afford. In the long "run", the money is well invested. Saucony outlet in Bangor will save you a few dollars--bring in your old sneakers if you go.