Thursday, January 17, 2008

Graf #2

My Worst Teacher

The worst teacher I have ever had was actually last semester. Since I am an adult learner and doing the "college" thing much later in life than most people, I have a much different opinion of what a teacher needs to be and do than I did 25 years ago.

My thoughts on teaching...

First, I think a teacher should TEACH! When I am investing the time to come to class, do assignments, and leave work early to attend, I think they should at least try and teach me something. This teacher, who will remain anonymous beacuse the class was here at EMCC, never gave one lecture the whole semester. All she would do is have us read our textbooks and work in groups.

Second, I think anything that is done in class needs to be done for a purpose. Over eight classes were spent watching movies. Not educational shows, but actual movies and never once did she discuss with the class the purpose for watching them or what we were supposed to learn from watching them. I felt this was an absolute waste of my time! I can watch movies at home.

Third, I think the teacher should be knowledgeable about what they are teaching. There were several instances during a quiz when she would give a wrong answer. When it was pointed out that it was wrong by referring to actual information in the book, she would ask how many people got it wrong and then use the majority for her answer.

This class/teacher was very frustrating for me. I wanted to learn! I was excited to learn! I went to class 3 hours a week for 16 weeks and sadly I did not learn anything about the course I had signed up for. That is why she is the worst teacher I ever had...She didn't TEACH me anything. I am sure some of my classmates really enjoyed this class, there was no accountability to come to class (she never took attendance), you didn't have to complete assignments on the syllabus, you got to correct your own quizzes (which I know several people did the quiz while correcting it), and you got to watch movies. The only thing missing from this class was the popcorn.

In case you are wondering, I did receive an A for the class but I'm sure everyone did.

1 comment:

johngoldfine said...

How awful--ideals and hopes smashed; cynicism and skepticism triumphant.

Well, let me tell you why you're doing this assignment: to get you used to giving stories or examples as evidence in your writing. And you do that throughout--offering us mini-stories to back up your beefs.

The hands assignment I'm just about to read exists so you get the idea that details are important and add up to more than themselves sometimes.