Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Classification Essay

Pizza, who doesn’t love pizza? I love pizza. There is nothing like pizza, especially at 1:00 a.m. after a night out on the town. But, how is one to choose what pizza and where to get it? There are so many different pizza varieties and pizza shops out there, you have to know what you like. For my family it is all about the crust...I like it thin, my son likes it thick and my boyfriend prefers deep-dish. So a typical pizza night in my house usually turns into a battle, each of us with our own argument on where to go and what kind to get.

My argument for thin crust usually plays out something like this…Let’s get a Thin and Crispy Pizza from UNOs. I know it isn’t your favorite, but thin crust pizza is crispier and you can taste the toppings better. It is healthier for us because it has less calories and less fat than the other pizzas. Plus, with thin crust pizza you can eat more because you won’t get as full as fast and who doesn’t want to eat more pizza? Then I usually end my argument on the begging side of things with, "C’mon please, we got your favorite last time and now it is my turn."

My 14 year-old son, who thinks he knows everything because he is 14, thinks the only kind of pizza out there is thick crust pizza and nothing else compares. He usually wants to go to Pizza Hut and get one of those thick crust, stuffed with something, kind of pizzas. His argument usually goes like this…Well I think we should get a stuffed- crust pizza from Pizza Hut. Thin crust pizza has no flavor and pizza should have that doughy texture like the thick crust pizza at Pizza Hut. Plus, we can get it stuffed with cheese. I don't want deep-dish, because that is more like a pie than pizza and you have to use a fork to eat it. Pizza is meant to be eaten with your hands, you shouldn’t have to use a fork. He will usually end his argument on the guilt side of things with somthing like, "Why can’t we are get what we want? You have the money, just write a check or use a credit card. Never mind, we never do what I want anyways."

My boyfriend, who is Italian, prefers the deep-dish pizza from UNOs. His argument for deep-dish usually is something like this…Let’s get deep-dish pizza from UNOs, they have the best crust around. One of the best things about it, is you get full faster and won’t eat as much, then we will have leftovers for lunch tomorrow. Pizza two days in a row, how great is that? If we get thin crust, I eat too much and there are no leftovers and I don’t like thick crust because when you pick it up too eat it all the toppings slide off. Plus the best part of pizza is the crust and UNOs deep-dish pizza is fabulous. He usually ends his argument on the practical side of things with a comment like, "Let’s get deep-dish this time and then we will start taking turns, next time thick crust and then thin. C’mon, what do ya say?"

All this talk about pizza has me thinking I want pizza for supper. Now I must prepare for the "battle." Hopefully, my argument will prevail and we will end up ordering my favorite, plus I think it is my turn anyways. But if not, that is okay because what makes pizza so great is you can have it several times a week, make it different every time and no matter what, it is always yummy!

1 comment:

johngoldfine said...

This is excellent. I can't say that at 8:45 am it's making me hungry, but the description of the 'fighting' is certainly making me smile. All done, no leftovers to pick at.