Saturday, March 1, 2008

Graf #9

As I wrote this piece, all I can think about is Courtney. Courtney is my boyfriend’s niece who died in a car accident in December of 2006. I just loved Courtney, she was so full of life and down to earth and I am so glad she climbed with me that beautiful day in August. I remember going to her wake and her mom and dad had put up all these pictures of our climb up Mt. Katahdin and they told me that she loved climbing with me that day and had mentioned it on several occasions. Truth be known, as I sit here crying, this is probably another reason for my addiction to Mt. Katahdin because every time I climb or think about that mountain, I think about Courtney.

Rest in peace Courtney, you were taking from us way too soon and thank you for being with me that day and making me feel good by saying your body hurt as much as mine. Even though there was no way your 13 year old body felt the way my 36 year old body did. I love you!

1 comment:

johngoldfine said...

It would have made it harder to write to incorporate her death into the piece, but it's relevant and certainly a shame to not mention it.