Tuesday, March 11, 2008

I-Search What Revised

Let’s see, there are a variety of things I already know but quite a bit that I do not.

What are the steps in preparing for a 10k race?
I know that you should start out small and build up endurance, but I am not sure if there is a recommended way to prepare. I do think I will be more prepared if I run a few 5k races first. This will help me understand the racing side of things. I am not sure what foods you should eat before, during and after a race, but I’m sure carbs are involved at some point.

Is there special equipment/gear that I should have?
I have been told to invest in a really nice pair of sneakers because in the long run it will be money well invested. I am sure that some type of moisture-wicking clothing would be best, but not sure if I should have particular clothing (i.e. pants, jacket). I am not sure if people carry their own water or if water is provided at the race

In regards to the actual races, I really have no idea what the process is or how to go about all those things: registering, fundraising, and what races are out there.

A lot of people set out to try and achieve this goal and may along the way fail for a variety of reasons. I know that training will not be easy and that you should be an experienced runner before trying to compete in a race. I know that some runners are plagued with pre-disposing injuries that can make the training process more difficult, if not impossible. This particular knowledge worries me for the simple fact that I am currently dealing with some left knee pain.

The main thing I know is that this is not going to be an easy thing to do, but I hope in the long run it is something I will accomplish.

1 comment:

johngoldfine said...

Yes, that does it. So, the first three sections are done!